Capreol's original community centre, built in 1928, was probably the finest building of its kind constructed in the Sudbury District. It housed a skating rink and a curling rink and often a brass band would play for the skaters at the arena. It was built with the help of CNR labourers and its construction was coordinated by avid sportsman, M.B. Murphy.
Before the establishment of the Capreol Community Centre, there were no enclosed ice surfaces in the community. Instead, people would skate on the frozen river or on established outdoor rinks.
The Capreol Arena was a popular social spot for many years until it was destroyed by fire in September of 1944. By January of the following year, members of the town's curling club rebuilt the arena as a curling club, offering curlers a better ice surface than they had before the fire.
In 1946, plans were discussed for the creation of a new skating arena. After citizens voted on the issue, the Town Council decided to make arrangements for the construction of the building. By 1949, a rink committee was established and Capreol citizens were being solicited for donations.
It was determined that the building would cost $43,000 to complete. The community had already raised $7,000 in donations and the provincial government promised a grant of $5,000 if a community hall was attached to the building. The rink committee arranged for the hall to be built large enough to hold dances, banquets, weddings, and whatever other social activities came along.
After intensive canvassing and tireless effort, the Capreol Memorial Community Centre was officially opened in 1950. The building was dedicated to the memory of those who served in both World Wars.
Today, the Capreol Community Centre and Arena is a popular social outlet for the residents of the community. The arena offers two ice surfaces for skating and sports events, an auditorium, and dressing rooms. The community hall provides a location for many other social activities.
The Capreol Curling Club building still stands on its original site.
Material compiled from Capreol: The First 75 Years, 1918-1993.