The first recorded instance of Methodism in Sudbury was in 1884 when two student missionaries were ministering to the CPR work camps. The first resident minister, Reverend Thomas Harris, came to the Sudbury area in 1887, and was succeeded shortly thereafter by Reverend Silas Huntington. Reverend Huntington was known as the "Apostle of the North" because of his great leadership skills and the level of respect he commanded from the community. Huntington University was later named after him.
During his time in Sudbury, Reverend Huntington saw to the construction of the first Methodist church in the area. The frame church was built in 1886 at 40 Beech Street West and held 125 parishioners. It contained a small organ and space for a twelve-member choir.
As was common in those days, clergymen were responsible for ministering to a large area and it was no different for Reverend Huntington. He ministered to Sudbury, Copper Cliff, Evans Mines, Wahnapitae, and Larchwood parishioners.
The number of followers in the Methodist faith fluctuated over the years and by the end of the 1890's, there were approximately forty-five practicing Methodists in the Sudbury District.