Church services began in Skead as early as 1920. On May 20th of that year, Bishop Dignan was performing the Sacrament of Confirmation in Skead and while there, he named the small chapel St. Bernardine of Siena.
By 1927, the residents of Skead were attending masses in the dining hall of the Spanish Lumber Company's bunk house. A visiting priest from Our Lady of Peace Church in Capreol would travel to Skead to conduct services at 5:30 a.m. every Sunday morning. Because Skead did not have its own resident minister, special events (such as baptisms and weddings) were performed at the church in Capreol.
It wasn't until 1942 that things began to change for the parishioners of Skead. In that year, the Poupore Lumber Company established themselves in Skead and transformed the former general store into a schoolhouse. When the schoolhouse was completed, the congregation decided to move its church services from the bunk house to the schoolhouse.
Three years later, in 1945, Mrs. Emma Poupore, with the assistance of her husband, M.J. Poupore, and his company, construction began on a new church. The Poupore Lumber Company was instrumental in the construction of this building as it supplied materials and labour to the church. The congregation also had a hand in its construction. The Skead Guild (the only fund-raising organization in Skead at that time) would raise money through dances, teas, movie nights, and other fund-raising activities for the benefit of the church. Any outstanding costs that could not be covered by the congregation were paid for by the Poupore Lumber Company.