The idea to built the Coniston Curling Club was conceived by a local committee in the spring of 1956. They decided that the community was in need of its own curling facility and in order to raise funds for the building's construction, the panel sought out one hundred people to join the club and issued them $100 certificates.
With funding secured, the committee began to search for a suitable location for the club. In the end, INCO provided the land at the corner of Concession Street and Fourth Avenue to the committee members.
In May of 1957, work began on the construction of the building which would house four sheets of curling ice. The cost of the buildings construction was significantly less than expected thanks in large part to the volunteer efforts of local carpenters, electricians, and masons.
On February 1, 1958, the Coniston Curling Club was officially opened and at the time, the curling surfaces were natural ice. Over the years (through fundraising efforts by the local women curlers) the club grew to contain club room facilities, artificial ice surfaces, and several building additions.
Today, the Coniston Curling Club continues to be a popular facility for many curlers in the community.
Material compiled from The Coniston Story II.