When Father Nolin opened the chapel in his rectory to school-aged children, he placed education within the reach of Sudbury residents. His successors, with parishioner support, would be leaders in the field of education for many years.
When a premises became too small, the priests were the ones who would convince a business or the diocese to hand over a building or parcel of land for construction. Churches and parish halls would serve as temporary classrooms on many occasions.
With the help of parishioners, the priests took charge of fundraising to remedy the lack of public financing. They saw to the formation of a Catholic school board and helped in obtaining recognition of Catholic schools as separate schools under Ontario legislation, enabling them to obtain public financing.
Once the School Board had been established, the priests continued to play an advisory role, serving as school superintendents. They took the initiative of entrusting French classes to the Soeurs Grises de la Croix in order to ensure the quality of instruction. English instruction would be entrusted to the Sisters of St. Joseph.
The establishment of Collège Sacré-coeur in 1912 came about after Father Eugène Lefebvre approached the Diocese and the Jesuits. The Collège's charter eventually permitted the University of Sudbury to be one of the four colleges that make up Laurentian University.
Material compiled from Document historique no 9 SHNO, Paroisse Sainte-Anne de Sudbury, One Hundred Years of Catholic Education: 1884-1984, and Le Dr. J-Raoul Hurtubise M.D. M.P.: 40 ans de vie française à Sudbury.