From 1950 to 1954, dog-sled races attracted crowds of spectators to Rayside-Balfour. The Marcotte, Landry and Goudreau families trained huskies for this sport which drew participants from other cities. The two-day race took place over a 50-mile route, starting from Main Street in Chelmsford, and going through Azilda, Boninville and Blezard Valley before returning to Chelmsford. The annual event was an initiative of the Valley Chamber of Commerce.
Material compiled from Chelmsford 1883-1983.