During 1893, the Sudbury Curling Club boasted "the largest membership of any curling club in the country for a town of the size or even several times larger."* In the winter of that year, the first rink exclusively for curling was opened on Young Street and was built by Ford and Company within a month. Since artificial ice was not available during this time, the fire department would use their pumper to carry water to the curling rink building and flood the surface of the rink. To create the needed pebbling (the lining of the ice with tiny bumps to make the curling stones roll), a person would have to take a can, similar to a watering can, and walk the length of the rink while swinging the can back and forth.
Also in 1893, T.H. Sheppard donated another Sheppard Cup to serve as the championship cup for competitions between clubs in the Algoma and Nipissing regions. In order to be awarded this cup, a championship series had to be called by one of the teams. For the first few years, North Bay and Sudbury were the only two teams to battle for the cup, but eventually other Northern cities joined in the competition.
In October of 1894, Sudbury took part in its first provincial level curling competition. The Ontario Tankard competition divided the province into groups, and towns within these groups would compete to become the champion. Group champions would then play each other for the provincial title. Sudbury, North Bay, and Sault Ste. Marie were the original Group #4 in the competition. Unfortunately, Sudbury lost to North Bay and did not advance.
*Pagnucco, Frank. Homegrown Heroes: A Sports History of Sudbury. c1982.