Church Dedication and Additions

By December 31, 1925, the church debt had been repaid and on January 10, 1926, Archbishop Thorneloe returned to Capreol to consecrate the building. While visiting, the Archbishop performed the sacrament of confirmation for ten church members, two of whom were adults with a history of long, dedicated service to the congregation. They were Elizabeth Frances Metcalf and Clara Loretta Lalonde.

In 1926, the parish realized that a bell was needed to complete the church. On July 26th, the local dentist and People's Warden, Dr. E.H. Niebel, wrote to the CNR office in North Bay to inquire about the possibility of obtaining a bell for the new church. The CNR responded on October 8th by sending the congregation a locomotive bell. The bell was installed on the church roof in July 1927 and is still in use to this day. It serves to symbolize the connection between the church and the railway which built the town of Capreol.

The late 1920's saw St. Alban's parish looking to create their own social hall for church events and functions. During 1928, Gillmor Hall was built and it was dedicated on February 3, 1929.

Throughout the 1930's and 1940's, renovations were done to St. Alban's Church. Among them, the communion rail was lowered and the church added choir stalls, an Altar rail, an Episcopal chair, new Altar hangings, and a vestment press. In 1931, a new altar and credence table was provided to St. Alban's by St. James' Episcopal Church in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. These are still used in the church today.

Up until 1955, the church was heated by a floor furnace. A hole was dug beneath the church that was just large enough to hold the forced-air oil furnace and the air ducts were laid in crawl spaces under the floor. Today, you can still feel where the floor furnace used to be as there is a noticeable "give" when you walk up the carpet in the nave.


Follow this link to list more items
Site Map