Expansion Within Sudbury

With Sudbury's incorporation as a city in the 1930's, the United Church looked to expand its services to the south end of town. By 1939, the United Church had successfully created Trout Lake Church (known now as St. Mark's) and the Minnow Lake Sunday School (St. Luke's).

The Church also created the All People's Mission in the north end of the city to serve the non-Anglo-Saxon people.

In 1942, the Sudbury Baptists created a Sunday School at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Lucyk. This Sunday School grew to become the Melvin Avenue Mission.

Throughout the war years, the United Church, the Sudbury Baptists, and the Knox Presbyterians established missions in the west end of Sudbury.

The Baptists began the practice in 1941 when property on Ontario Street was purchased by the Baptist Home Mission Board and a Baptist Mission was established. In a little over one year, the mission grew so quickly that a church was built and soon the mission became a parish in itself, now known as the Calvary Baptist.

Near the end of World War II, the Knox Presbyterians also established a mission in the west end of Sudbury. A home at 14 Whittaker Street was rented and the Presbyterian Mission House was created.

In 1946, St. Andrew's United Church was eager to begin expanding its faith throughout the growing community. In September of that year, a Sunday School was established at 135 Regent Street and soon it became a full-fledged church. The new parish was ministered to by the Reverends of St. Andrew's Church with the first service being held on October 6, 1946. A basement was later built and the new St. Paul's Church was dedicated on October 23, 1949.


Follow this link to list more items
Site Map