The original Town of Garson was established by the Mond Nickel Company when they created housing settlements in what became known as "Company Town" in 1907. Company Town provided permanent mine employees with a place to live and raise their families for an affordable price. However, the town of Garson grew to include different settlements and sections, most notably "Finntown" and the "Business Section".
Although the area outside of Company Town was known as "non-company town", the land north of the railway heading towards Falconbridge and the land on the west side of Church Street was owned by the nickel company. This land was leased to the Garson residents and became "Finntown", because many immigrants of Finnish descent chose to settle there.
As entrepreneurs arrived in the community and began establishing various enterprises, a business section emerged. The business section, consisting of Wilfred, Desjardins, and Birch Streets, was where the rest of the residents settled. Originally, it was considered to be part of Finntown, but when the railway to Falconbridge was built in 1929, the tracks served to separate the two sections.
By 1909, the residents of Garson were ready to establish their own government. On December 27th of that year, a nomination meeting was held and it resulted in the election of Garson's first Reeve (W. Quesnel) and council in 1910. Early council matters included the construction of roads and culverts, the building of sidewalks, and the setting of pay scales for labourers.
In the early teens, the first police officers were appointed. By 1919, the two officers, one serving in Garson and the other in Coniston, were employed under the supervision of a Chief of Police who maintained the safety of both towns. These early officers were paid $30 per month (in 1914) and were able to supplement their income with the commissions received from collecting fines and licensing fees.