By February of 1919, Central School was facing overcrowding and Bishop Scollard recommended that the school board build a new school in each ward. The board, with approval from taxpayers, began to buy and convert homes in the wards where schools were needed. Among the schools built were École Ste. Marie, St. Albert School, and École Nolin.
At a taxpayers meeting in December of 1920, it was suggested by one of the trustees that a second Central School for Anglophones be built so that they could begin to create their own school system. The motion was heatedly discussed and in the end, was passed by one vote. This resulted in the hiring of English-speaking nuns to teach the English students in 1921. By 1922, the school board passed a motion making these nuns responsible for the education of all English-speaking classes. This declaration resulted in the separation of the French and English educational systems, although they continued to be united under the same board of trustees.
By September of 1923, a new "Central School" for English students was opened. St. Aloysius was an eight room classroom dedicated to the education of English speaking children.